The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Oh, read that as soon as you can.

In the lofty tradition of pointing out comics that reference authors I enjoy, first seen all of four days ago, check out this Unshelved sunday strip. Terry Pratchett is, of course, one of the best things to happen to fantasy in a long time, but I would have recommended Guards Guards to new readers. I'm sure the dragon and all the secret societies would have made for a fun comic too.

I first came across Unshelved when another top author, Orson Scott Card, linked to a sunday strip about his classic Ender's Game. At first I thought the premise was too simple, drawing quirky jokes centred around book recommendations. Then I realised that Unshelved offered so much more.

The life of Dewey, the main character, covers alot of ground. There's the usual bookish humour to be expected from a comic set in a library. However, they manage to stretch out by focusing on things like the pointless bureaucracy of the head staff and weighty issues like censorship and recent politics , all without losing their simple charm and friendly humour.

The Sunday strips that hooked me in are a clever addition to an otherwise great niche strip. Rather than simply drawing a bigger joke than usual, Abaum and Barnes show that the setting isn't a gimmick (cue Pamela Anderson's Stacked...) but a location they understand.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 am, Blogger Crom74 said...

It is good!!

 
At 3:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in an academic library, and I can say without a doubt this stip makes me shudder at the thought of working at a public library. VERY funny stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home