The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

B.I.C.L.O.P.S.

The denezins of Ugly Hill are mosters. Seriously, monsters. They have tenacles and wierd skin and everything. However, they are saurprisingly normal, for sufficient values of normal. They have countries and immigrants, credit cards and horrible amounts of debt. And, when things get down to it, wars.

We can empathise with these... people.

Part of what drags someone in to a story, be it a webcomic or otherwise, is how much they can see 'Human' in the characetrs. If someone wrote a tale about truly non-human characters doing unhuman things, odds are that it wouldn't be interesting, just more confusing than reading Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man backwards (actually, that might help...). But, if one human character was put into the mix...

Part of what Southworth has done to keep my attention is his care in making everything human, down to the people who are oblivious to what's going on around them.

And the introduction of the B.I.C.L.O.P.S. conspiracy blog just adds to that feeling. What with a major war on a physically different race of monsters, we all know that someone is going to be crying rascism... Eyeism... whatever.

I don't care if people talk about the blog as a construct of the artist. To me, it'll always be another sign that Ugly Hill is real and there are monsters under my bed.

2 Comments:

At 2:00 am, Blogger paulsouthworth said...

This is pretty much the most dead-on analysis of Ugly Hill I've ever had the pleasure to read. Thank you! The Kea's Nest is a very well-written webcomics blog, so keep it up! You've found a new reader in me.

 
At 3:20 pm, Blogger The Kea said...

Well, thank you very much. You keep up your end and we'll see what I can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home