The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

One day I'd like to feel mauve. That'd be interesting.

Cat and Girl is a very interesting little comic. The concepts that Dorothy (didn't see a last name, but I'm sure I'm missing it) uses aren't really that high brow but the way Girl attacks them tends to imply it. Just like so many bands that use language that is simple but try and make it sound weighty and meaningful.

What I love about today's comic is that it attacks pink for all the right reasons. It attacks the ideas that are often linked to pink, although pink may be innocent in and of itself. Cat trys to defend it with something that sounds good but is really not a good thing (lying to oneself). Girl lists all the downers that are associated with pink (often attempts to sugarcoat something unpalatable).

Then Girl mentions blue as the opposite of pink, associated with all the positive and powerful forces that she feels are denied her on a whim. She also mentions white as a perfect neutral colour.

And then we are left with an obvious and, really, quite powerful down association of blue. It's not just funny but it also makes me sad that people can't get around the associations that colours have already been given.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 pm, Blogger The Kea said...

I myself didn't notice the clouds filling out the sky.

Thanks for that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home