The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A few thoughts on Home with the Strange.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned that I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this strip when I first started paying attention. It's rapidly becoming one that sticks in the back of my head.

It's unexpected because of what I saw in it the first few times I looked, relationship stuff, funny but serious, somewhat along the lines of Something Positive, which still doesn't tickle me.

But, along the last few arcs, I've become hooked. There was the truly brilliant moment where Izzy 'ruined' a complex and intricate Roleplaying experience. In my mind, it's that sort of thing that brings games alive. There's been a number of 'gag' strips which seem most like the strips I've scribbled out myself, friends together making funny.

But the arc that resonated most strongly was the Superman Returns Trailer arc. I know the betrayal from both sides where new movies are concerned, or TV shows. I don't watch Lost if my wife isn't there with me and when I discovered that she had seen an episode while out at a friend's place I was horrified. It's always those damn little things.

Watching Tom try to pretend that he hadn't seen it revealed just how pathetic it is for me to try and rpetend I didn't see the Da Vinci Code without my girl. She knew the instant it happeend, even though she was in a different city at the time. That whole 'different area codes makes it okay' thing doesn't even cover movies let alone anything else.

One of the things I found interesting was a little note in the sidebar of this strip. The Ferrett had begun Home on the Strange with the idea that Tom reflected himself but as the character grew something has changed. Ferrett appears enthusiatic about the new Superman movie whereas Tom, as do I, finds the trailer unappetising.

The reasoning given by Tanner, to wit 'He takes a bullet in the goddamned eye' seems to sum up the conflict to me. Having only recently seen that particular part of the trailer I feel qualified to say that it's what makes me disinterested. I don't think I'd be going to far to say it's the sort of feeling Tom has.

Superman is invulnverable. He can do anything. Except for this wierd rock that keeps turning up. So what's so interesting about him? you know he'll save the day, he's Superman. It might be interesting if he has some pretty big choices to make, judging the worhtier thing to save. But I don't see him having an out like Spiderman did in the first movie. And I doubt they'd have him let someone die.

But hey, I could be wrong. I'll probably see it eventually. But Dead Man's Chest is going to keep my attention for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home