The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Simple/Complex

I forgot to mention in my post about Ted Rall's interview that he mentions what he thinks good cartooning should be. It's in context of him discussing Chris Ware of whom I haven't seen much, but I can totally understand the intent form what I have seen.

"...deliberately making things obtuse and difficult is counter to the spirit of what is supposed to be a populist medium. Anyone should be able to read comics. The concepts can be hard. But the structure and presentation should be as straightforward as possible."

I don't think it's easy to argue with that. Given a visual medium which relies upon its ability to evoke thoughts with fairly simply lines, surely Rall is right? But would Ware argue that using every available image possible and bringing as much together as possible is a good way to build upon that experience?

I haven't seen many (any?) webcomics that become very very complex. Their stories may be convoluted and their artwork detailed, but nothing that brings in so much as to be potentially as off putting as some sort of drawn James Joyce.

Anyone seen anything like that? Anyone willing to create something like that?

2 Comments:

At 12:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complex doesn't mean better. Making things simple is very difficult.

Maritza
CRFH.net

 
At 9:35 am, Blogger The Kea said...

So, basically, You'd say Rall was right. Fair enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home