The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Drawing from the Amores might have been interesting. Isn't there a new adult webcomic portal now?

Unfortunately I missed Maroon ending about a week or so ago. I really enjoyed checking in on that one, because it always seemed to be willing to try something a little different. It wasn't about bringing the funny, but it did seem to carry a bittersweet overtone most of the time, as you can tell by the last sentance in it.

So that's sad. But then we find that Derik Badman has moved on to a new project, one that looks to update more often and draws upon the Metamnorphoses by Ovid, called Things Change. As a guy with a degree in Classical Studies, this makes me happy, though I am sad to see he doesn't expect gods and monsters to go tromping through the comic (Why not Derik? Why not!?).

Given his willingness to take time and create a gentle rhythm that carries you back over and over I think this will be a good one to watch. It certainly makes a change from the 'fit in all the gags and still have enough energy left for a rimshot' pace that is more typical for webcomics. The inspiration should also lead to wonderful artwork, as we can see appearing in the echoing images of the first strip.

Let's watch.

2 Comments:

At 3:47 pm, Blogger The Kea said...

I have to admit that I focused on Greek studies, so my recognition of the Metamorphoses isn't much huger than the commen man's. Though its made me think of buying my own copy to 'read along with'.

I find the poets (especially the one's trying to be funny) are the most fun to read. Ovid is included in that so I'll be interested to see what humour comes through.

 
At 11:07 pm, Blogger The Kea said...

I was thinking of Juvenal. What a crack up. Like the Bill Hicks of the first century.

Picasso etchings huh? I'll have to check that out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home