The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My homeboy.

[Teaching training going well, thanks]

I'm sure you are all aware that I'm from New Zealand. And that I'm more than willing to shill any connection to this country in the realm of webcomicry.

Which is why I was delighted to find out about Cheshire Crossing. Yes, the update schedule looks like something that will take some getting used to, but the conceit that (unfortunately?) begins somewhat similarly to Lost Girls is just too appealing.

Obviously that's not the Kiwi connection.

But the 'asylum' where the girl's have been brought? Is run by Ernest Rutherford. Check out his wiki page and then come back saying 'thanks for the brainiac New Zealand!' I felt kind of chuffed, even if he probably thought of himself as British but from a distant part of Britain.

One thing that concerns me is the association with fiction. As you can (hopefully) tell from the wiki article, Rutherford was a very real and influential man. But every other charatcer I've seen in Cheshire Crossing so far is fictional. Now, Rutherford has leant himself to stories about other worlds and strange things happening due to his atomic research (the title story of this collection is great, but the whole book is decent too) but I feel a little uncomfortable with how he has been brought in so far.

Now, I'm only about halfway through this first issue (I think) so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Rutherford. But I'll be watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home