The Kea's Nest

The Kea is a well known, cheeky, mountain parrot from New Zealand. What better name to take for myself to comment on the funny drawings I find online?

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Not about webcomics but I do have something in mind.

Kia ora,

This post is a day late. I'd like to say it was because I was busy attending the appropriate Anzac memorials, but in fact I was recovering after a hard night at a friends'. I digress.

One of the things I find good about the Anzac tradition down here is that it remembers a great loss due to hideous blunders in World War One. But there's something about a screw up of this sort that binds people together.

Last year a comment reminded me that the Turks must have lost many times the young men that the Allies lost at Gallipoli and that was a good point. Somehow this attempt at invasion that ended in bloodshed for both sides resulted in a kinship even with the enemy.

The leader of the Turks, Ataturk, made this speech after the end of the war.

"Those heroes that shed their blood
and lost their lives;
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies
and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
here in this country of ours.
You, the mothers,
who sent their sons from far away countries,
wipe away your tears;
your sons are now lying in our bosom
and are in peace.
After having lost their lives on this land they have
become our sons as well."

As Neil Gaiman said recently: There are no Other People, there's just Us.

Ka kite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home